Middle School Messages

Thursday, May 1, 2014


Folks,

In my last post, I talked about the DE Student as Learner criteria of Risk-taking and its importance in the learning process. So, with this issue, I am going to take a risk and try something a little different than usual.  Rather than lots of writing with a few visuals, I am going to reverse it: lots of visuals and little words!  I hope you enjoy this peek into our Middle School world, and let me know if you'd like more of this format. By the way, it is amazing how easy it is to make these videos with the iPad!

Our Language classes have been working hard all year, learning how to communicate in their target language. At last week's Assembly, we had World Language Celebration, and every language class presented. Here are the videos:

Ms. Berk: French

Ms. Kim: The Voice





Click to see: Ms. Kim: WipeOut


Click to see: Ms. Kim: The Oscars


Mr. Moracho: Grade 6



Click to see: Mr. Moracho: Grade 7 Advanced



Mr. Moracho: Grade 7 Beginners



Mrs. Stone: Latin


Click to see: Ms. Tal: Les Trois Petit Cochons


Ms. Weinstein: Grade 7



Ms. Weinstein: Late Declension Video


Click to see: Mr. Bautista Grade 8 dance

As a way of recognizing the need and desire for student choice, we have a system whereby our rising 6's and 7's have some choice in their course selections for next year. Our Discovery Program constellation of classes is designed to provide choice and a means to explore one's interests in meaningful ways.

Watch this video about our newest addition to the Discovery Program:

Our Middle School play, Bugsy Malone, Jr., opens next Friday and Saturday, May 9 and May 10. Friday night is our Annual Pack the Theater for our students from 6:00 to 6:45 p.m., we will have free pizza and soda for those students who are going to attend the performance. Hope to see you there!

Here is a photo of one of the rehearsal numbers:

For the past few weeks, I have been talking about perseverance at our Morning Meetings. For this past Monday's presentation, I made a video featuring some of our 8th grade students and Mr. King, all talking about perseverance and what it means to them:

Perseverance Video


Hug your child, and Go Bulldogs!